This Mexican desert is a simple and easy to make desert that never lets you down. I always liked this desert as a kid and remember making it with mom at home. However the one we made at home had a slightly different recipe than this and we called is caramel pudding.
FIFA Finals was the perfect excuse to make this and it indeed went well with the fabulous BBQ spread at Sen's place. Though the match did not turn out to be as exciting as a final should have been; neverthless we enojyed our day with some scrumptous spreads. Needless to say when bengalis get together no matter what the reason is, how happy or sad they are food is still the main focus. So here is the not so hush hush secret to this amazing desert.
1 can condensed milk,
Same amount of regular milk or same size can evaporated milk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 cup of sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degree
- Caramelize sugar and pour it quickly on a baking pan and let it crystalize. To caramelize sugar pour 1 cup sugar in warm pan over medium heat. Constantly stir sugar until it is brown and becomes caramel.
- Mix eggs and half cup sugar with a beater. Add both condensed milk, regular / evaporated milk, and vanilla. Mix well with a beater or in the mixer.
- Pour on the Caramel and bake it for 45-50 minutes or until set.
- Remove and let cool.
- Run a knive through the sides of the flan and refrigerate after cooling covered wih a cling wrap.
For a better result bake the flan with a water bath. To do so bake it by putting it on a bowl of hot water rather then baking it directly. This reduces the chances of the caramel getting burned. Also I use anything between 5 - 12 eggs depending on the number of people I am making it for.
Let the flan cool in the refrigerator for an hour before serving. To serve turn the flan on the serving dish and let the caramel flow from top and enjoy.