Jan - Hubby's birthday month and thus the frequency of baking invariably goes up. This year I got to choose the flavors I wanted to make and he was happy with them. So here it is for the birthday boy Lavender Chiffon Cake with Lemon Curd icing.
Lavender Chiffon Sponge
- 6 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup neutral vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried edible lavender buds
- 1 1/3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the bottoms of two 8in any shape cake pans with baking paper; do not grease.
- Place 1 cup of the sugar in a food processor, add the lavender buds and process. Sift into a large bowl, discarding the excess lavender.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, oil and water. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the sugar and whisk gently to combine. Add the yolk mixture and whisk to form a smooth batter.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment on medium-high speed until frothy. Slowly add the remaining ½ cup (100g) sugar and the cream of tartar and continue to whip until soft, droopy peaks form. Fold ¼ of the beaten egg whites into the batter, taking care not to deflate the mixture. Gently fold in the remaining whites. Divide the batter among the prepared pans.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden and a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow layers to cool completely in the pans. To remove, run a blunt knife around the edges, invert each pan and tap out the cake onto a wire rack. Carefully peel off the paper.
Easy Lemon Curd
I bought lemon curd from store. It can be made at home as well. But preferred buying for ease of it.
Whipped Lemon Curd Cream Frosting
- 700ml low fat cream
- 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1/2 recipe lemon curd
- 2-3 tbsps sugar
- Whip the cream and sugar till firm peaks hold. Gently fold the lemon curd through, about 2/3rd to being with, and taste for sweetness, tartness etc. Add the rest if desired, and add sugar if required.
Lemon Sugar Syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup water
- Juice of 1 lime.
Place all ingredients in a pan, bring to a boil, stir until the sugar is dissolved. take off heat, and allow to cool.
To Assemble the Cake
- Slice both sponges horizontally to get layers. I got 2 layers
- Reserve 1/3rd whipped cream for top and sides.
- Place one cake layer on a cake stand or serving plate, brush with lemon syrup and spread 1/3rd of the cream for filling.
- Repeat with the other layers.
- Top with the third cake layer, and frost the top and sides with the remaining cream.