Monday, December 22, 2014

Bengali Sandesh

Ok I have been meaning to learn this recipe for a few years now from my aunts in New Jersey who are experts in bengali sweets. Finally this year during Thanksgiving break when I visited them I did learn it and tried it out. Needless to say this is the best we non resident bongs can do to make up for the gurer (jaggary) sandesh that we traditionally find in Kolkata in winter.





Ingredients:

  • 1/2 gallon whole milk
  • few spoons of vinegar to make chin / paneer
  • 1/2 sachet of dry milk powder (substitue of maul milk powder found in India)
  • Jaggary or Gud / sugar / Succanat (my discovery replacement of jaggary - i used this)

Direction:
  • Bring milk to boil
  • Turn of the gas and start adding white vinegar one spoon at a time only until the milk separates and curdles up to form chena
  • Let it cool and then strain in a muslin cloth. Was under running tap to rinse off any tartness form vinegar. Squueze excess water and then hang for few hours till all water's drained out
  • Now put it on a plate / bowl and add 1/2 sachet of dry milk powder and knead it well
  • Put it in a food processor and knee further more till it's smooth
  • Brush a little ghee in a nonstick pan and pour this. At this point add your sugar / jaggary / succanat and mix well in medium heat till it forms a lump and the sugar is melted.
  • Let it cool for 5 mins. Brush ghee on your palm and make round balls or shape it in any sort of mould you have and Njoy!!
Succanat: http://wholesomesweeteners.com/Products/product-detail/PId/8/Organic-Sucanat

A friend introduced me to this wonderful thing and ever since I discovered it I realized it's nothing but tastes like ground jaggary and it clicked. Trust me no one who tasted it figured out that I did not use jaggary at all. So all your jaggary lovers here is your substitute


No comments:

Post a Comment